WHAT IS A DOT PHYSICAL?
In case you’re a bus or truck driver, you know how difficult and rigorous your work can be. To ensure your and the public’s security, you’ll undoubtedly have to take a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical.
A DOT physical is an exam that is needed for business vehicle drivers by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
This test ensures you’re ready to meet the actual necessities of your work. This includes that you are capable of taking health risks by sitting and driving for prolong hours.
WHY IT IS USED?
DOT physicals are needed in order to receive a commercial driver’s license.
They assess your physical ability whether you are physical fit for a commercial vehicle driving or not. This physical examination determines that you are physically, emotionally and mentally fit for operating commercial vehicles.
Once you pass the DOT physical exam, you will be given a medical certificate for 2 years that you are eligible to drive commercial vehicles and you do not need to go to doctors for more tests. That certificates denotes that you are physically and mentally fit for the driving any vehicle.
There are some medical conditions that you need an annual DOT physical such as:
- Diabetes Mellitus.
- Hypertension ( high blood pressure)
- Heart disease.
If you have high blood pressure problem, you should go every three months to get your check up done and for DOT physical so that you can receive medical treatment and manage the problem.
WHAT DOES A DOT PHYSICAL CONSIST OF?
The medical examiner will give you history form that you will have to fill out before the examination which includes:
- Medications that you are currently taking.
- Any surgery done in the past or suspected to be.
- If you take alcohol, tobacco nor any other hazardous substance.
- Any medical condition that you are currently suffering from.
Complete physical examination will be given to you which includes:
- Blood pressure.
- Other health indicators.
URINE ANALYSIS AND OTHER TESTING:
You will also go through the urine analysis to check your blood sugar level and other substances in urine.
Urine analysis can be used for the drug testing purposes.
Other tests such as echocardiogram and blood tests will also be given.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING TO A DOT PHYSICAL?
Here are the following things related to your health you will need to bring to the exam:
- Medical records are necessary if you are not going to your family doctor.
- Medical records if you have any disease and you are seeing any other specialist for that disease such as obstructive sleep apnea.
- If you have diabetes mellitus or any other condition which requires blood draw, bring reports to the day of DOT examination.
- If you use any hearing or visual aids, bring with you because you will need them while driving.
- List of prescriptions of medication that you are taking, including dosage and timings.
If you want to see a good physician, go to DFW Physicians and Medical Associates for your DOT physicals.